The Hundertwasser House

The Hundertwasser House Vienna (German Hundertwasserhaus Wien) is an apartment house in Vienna, Austria, designed by Austrian artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser. This landmark of Vienna is located in the 3. district, Kegelgasse 34-38 / Lowengasse 41-43.

The house was built between 1983 and 1986 by architects Univ.-Prof. Joseph Krawina and Peter Pelikan. It features undulating floors ("an uneven floor is a melody to the feet"), a roof covered with earth and grass, and large trees growing from inside the rooms, with limbs extending from windows. Hundertwasser took no payment for the design of the house, declaring that it was worth it, to prevent something ugly from going up in its place.

Within the house there are 52 apartments, four offices, 16 private terraces and three communal terraces, and a total of 250 trees and bushes. The Hundertwasser House is one of Austria's most visited buildings[citation needed] and has become part of Austria's cultural heritage.

Friedensreich Hundertwasser

Hundertwasser, Friedensreich (real name: Friedrich Stowasser), b. Vienna, Dec. 15, 1928, d. Feb. 19, 2000 (on board the Queen Elizabeth II on a trip from New Zealand to Europe, buried in New Zealand). Painter, lived in Vienna, New Zealand, Venice and Normandy. In 1948 he studied for 4 months at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts under R. C. Andersen; afterwards undertook several journeys, since 1951 member of the Vienna Art Club; in 1953 made the helix the basic form of his paintings; in 1954 developed the artistic style "Transautomatismus", and in 1959 founded the "Pintorarium" together with E. Fuchs and A. Rainer. International break-through at the Biennale in Venice in 1962. In his sometimes spectacular manner ("nudist speeches" etc.) H. has advocated peace, ecology and a form of architecture which takes into account human needs and natural phenomena; has stood up against the destruction of villages, whaling and Austria's entry into the European Union.

Hundertwasser is not only a painter, but has also worked as a designer of buildings (H.-Haus, 3rd district of Vienna, 1986; parish church in Bornbach, Styria, 1988; KunstHaus Wien, 3rd district of Vienna 1991; District Heating Plant Spittelau, 9th district of Vienna, 1988-1992; Blumau Thermal Village, Styria, 1993-1997; etc.), books (Brockhaus-Enzyklopadie, 1989; Bible, 1995), stamps, posters etc. From 1981-1997 was in charge of a master class for painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna; Grand Austrian State Prize in 1980.

Articles: